Sunday, June 3, 2012

Eating for days ...

Although I ate out a few times this week, I also made a few inexpensive meals that lasted days on end.  Since I had no good news on the budget this week, I thought I'd at least share a less-than-ten-dollar recipe. (Which is currently filling up a large portion of my refrigerator.)

This is a family recipe, and so therefore, the only right way to make corn chowder. I'm leaving out one tiny ingredient, so you can't exactly replicate this fine staple of the Murray clan.

New England Corn Chowder: (Aprox. $7)


Ingredients:
- Salt Pork ($2.50)
- 1 large onion (< $1)
- 4-5 potatoes (~$1)
- 1 can of corn ($.69)
- 1 can of creamed corn ($.69)
- 1 can of evaporated milk (~$1)
- 1 stick of butter (<$1)


Directions
1. Cube/dice salt pork, onions and potatoes.
2. Lightly fry pork and onions in large soup pot.
3. Add potatoes.
4. Add water until it just covers ingredients in the pot.
5. Boil until the potatoes are a little mushy.
6. Add the cans of corn and evaporated milk.
7. Add one stick of butter.
8. Cook on low for approximately an hour, or until the soup tastes creamy and thick.



No comments:

Post a Comment